Physical Therapy Requirements


Dear Dr. Robinson, I attend a private college near Chicago and my home is in Oregon. I am interested in becoming a physical therapist. I love biology but math is not my favorite subject. My pre-health advisor is unclear if taking calculus is in my best interest? What should I do? C.A., Oregon
Proper course selection is key to getting admitted to your desired graduate health program. While premeds will take calculus many allied health fields do not require it. If you do not like math you should only take it if it is certain you need it. In the allied health fields, there is some school to school variation in requirements. To better answer your question I considered some places that you might want to apply to. In your home state of Oregon there is no state physical therapy program but there are 2 private schools. Some prominent schools in the Midwest include Washington University, Northwestern University, and Creighton University. Only one of these programs requires calculus, Northwestern and even this selective program does not require calculus based physics. Only you can decide if there are other programs you are interested in applying to but based on the available information , it is unlikely you are required to take calculus unless you are certain you want to apply to the Northwestern School of physical therapy. I hope this analysis was helpful and thanks for the question. Sincerely, Dr. Dale

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do you prepare for the Medical School Interview?

Sonography Career Options